Smothered Pork Chops with Onion Gravy
- Instant Pot
- 4 boneless pork chops preferably loin chops about 1 inch thick (about 1 3/4 lbs total)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 large yellow onions slivered (thin slices cut with the petals)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Prep the ingredients. The first few steps of this recipe go rather quickly, so it is helpful to prep some ingredients before beginning. Measure out the flour in a shallow dish, such as a pie pan or rimmed plate; thinly slice the onions; and cut the butter into 2 pieces.
- Season the pork chops and coat in flour. Season the pork chops with the salt and pepper — be sure to coat the edges as well as both flat sides of each chop. Press the pork chops into the flour to coat each side. You might not use all the flour; be sure to discard any unused flour.
- Working in 2 batches, brown the pork chops. Set a 6 to 8 quart electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot to sauté and give it about 10 minutes to preheat. Add half of the butter. When melted, quickly add 2 of the pork chops and sear until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. The edges of the pork chops will brown the most on the first side. Transfer the browned pork chops to a clean plate. Repeat browning the remaining pork chops in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Set the pork chops aside. Set aside all 4 browned pork chops while you cook the onions.
- Cook the onions. Add the onions to the pressure cooker and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring occasionally with a heatproof spatula, until they just begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with broth. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. The broth should almost immediately come to a simmer.
- Return the chops to the pot. Return the pork chops to the pressure cooker and make sure they are submerged in the liquid. The pork chops may overlap in the pot in order to fit.
- Cook under high pressure for 10 minutes. Cover the pressure cooker and make sure the pressure valve is sealed. Set for MANUAL, HIGH pressure for 10 minutes cook time. It will take the pressure cooker 12 to15 minutes to come to pressure.
- Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release. When the pressure cook time is up, let the pressure cooker naturally release for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, open the valve completely to quickly release all the remaining pressure.
- Cool, finish the sauce, and serve. Turn the pressure cooker off, uncover, and let the chops and sauce cool for about 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Using tongs, transfer the pork chops to a serving platter. Add the sour cream or yogurt to the sauce and stir to combine. Serve the pork chops smothered with the rich sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!