Cornbread Fried Chicken Tenders
- 3 c. Canola oil
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c. milk
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 box cornbread stuffing mix
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 chicken tenderloins tendon removed
- Maldon salt for garnish
- Heat at 3 cups of canola oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and pepper until well combined.
- In a separate shallow dish or bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until fully incorporated. Beat in hot sauce.
- Crush up the cornbread stuffing mix to a fine crumb; I like to use my food processor or mini chopper for this job, but a rolling pin will also work. Sprinkle the cornbread stuffing crumbs with the cayenne pepper and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed. Place in a third shallow dish or bowl.
- Dredge chicken tenderloins in the seasoned flour, followed by the egg mixture, followed by the cornbread stuffing crumbs. Using tongs, gently place the breaded chicken into hot oil, be careful to lay the tenderloin down away from your face. Do not drop them or the oil will splatter and it will burn you. Repeat for 3 more tenderloins. Once the chicken floats, remove with tongs and probe w thermometer; if it reads 165°F or higher, place on cooling rack lined sheet tray and place in a 250° oven to keep warm; if under 165°F place gently back into hot oil to continue cooking until the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Repeat steps for the remaining 4 chicken tenderloins.
- Once all the chicken is fried, place on a platter and sprinkle with Maldon salt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!